Thursday, May 12, 2022

A Many-Splendored Thing

 "It's been over two months since she posted," they say. "Is she ever going to post again?" they wonder. "Has something HAPPENED to her?" they worry.  "Something BIG? Maybe even something . . . HUGE?"

Yes, dear ones. It HAS been over two months since I last posted. And now I AM posting again, and I plan to keep on posting. And, yes, something HAS happened to me. And yes, it's BIG, and yes, it's HUGE - and here's a clue - what happened to me is a MANY-SPLENDORED THING.

I have fallen in love.

I have fallen desperately, hopelessly, till-death-do-us-part in love, with a man who, miraculously, feels exactly the same way about me. 

Almost exactly two months ago, on a night when I was feeling sad and lonely, and depressed about various writing disappointments, and inspired by the recent merriment a friend was having in her foray into online dating, on a whim I signed up for Match.com.

I met him in my first hour on that dating site. 

At first I just got a lame and annoying message of "Hi" from a man who lives in Phoenix (hundreds of miles away) and another of "How are you?" from a man who lives in Grand Junction (many hours' drive from here). But then I got a thoughtful, insightful message from a man who had read my (hastily assembled) profile with great care and identified points of potential commonality between us. And... this man lives right here in Boulder.

I wrote back, he wrote back, I wrote back, and then he suggested a phone call. In that first call, on Thursday, March 10, we talked for two hours. On the next day, we talked for five hours, in two chunks followed by a brief break in between. I was already smitten enough that I canceled Match.com without asking for a partial refund of the $277 I had paid for a year's membership. I had already gotten my money's worth. 

The following day my little granddaughters arrived for their week-long spring break visit, so I knew I'd be fully occupied with them, but all week long he and I had stolen chats and texts during the day and a two-hour  conversation each night after they went to bed.

Then came the fateful day where we would meet for the first time in person. We walked into each other's arms and have barely let go since. 

His name is David. He is a fellow academic/professor (in his case, of economics), one of our first points of commonality, and a brilliant teacher (and I, too, prioritized teaching throughout my academic career). But he was a tough, demanding grader and I was a softie. I'm delighted by all the ways we are alike AND by all the ways we are different. 

We share fundamental values. But in temperament, he is the calmest person I have ever met and the most patient, while neither of those are my gifts. He also does everything slowly and precisely while I do everything quickly and sometimes carelessly. He's an introvert; I'm an extrovert. He is an extremely healthy eater and was appalled by my diet of jellybeans and Cadbury eggs; he is a master spreadsheet maker and was equally appalled by the botched job I do every morning of balancing my checkbook by hand. But we both hate April Fool's Day. And we are both as in love as two people could ever be. 

"What do the two of you do for fun?" a friend asked. Well, mainly we just hold each other and talk, and talk, and talk. After almost a month together, we finally went to a restaurant. After almost two months together, we finally watched a movie on TV. But nothing beats talking our hearts out and holding each other close.

At first, in the throes of this new love, I lost interest in everything else in my life. Why had I ever cared about writing anything but love poems? Why had I ever wanted to share anything I wrote with anybody but him? But it turns out that he is also a wonderful person to talk about writing with... and a wonderful person for brainstorming ideas... and a wonderful person for critiquing a draft... and a wonderful cheerleader for me as writer. So now I AM writing again - so joyously! - and will resume blogging again (promising NOT just to blog about how wonderful this new man is!). Everything is more joyous now because of him.

"I know I'm getting borderline obnoxious about how in love I am," I told another friend recently. Then I had to correct myself. "I guess... not BORDERLINE obnoxious, right?" But she didn't blame me. She knew how sad I've been for so long about so many things. She was willing to let me be obnoxiously happy now.

And I am!


 


44 comments:

  1. So happy for you and wishing you a thousand years of feeling just as you do today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia! This post has gifted us a share of your huge happiness. Thank you. I couldn't be more excited for you. And I can't wait to someday meet your special guy. He's so darn lucky! Tell him I said so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been yearning to share this with the whole world! I will be sure to tell him this!!! Even if both us already marvel daily about this amazing stroke of once-in-a-lifetime luck.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful! I’m smiling ear to ear and I am SO HAPPY for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've been smiling ear to ear for two months now!

      Delete
  4. Hey hey! Fabulous news. You are the second person I know who has hit the jackpot online. Go for it, girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a convert now to online dating, for sure!

      Delete
  5. This is stupendous๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿฆ‹๐Ÿฆ‹๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน๐ŸŒน

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so incredibly happy for you, Claudia! This news fills my heart with such joy. I can't wait to see what the future brings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait to see what the future brings, either....

      Delete
  7. Seashell-confetti thrown high in the air to celebrate the many splendors of love, and your bountiful joy! Yay!!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for seashell confetti, dear Elizabeth!!!

      Delete
  8. Such a joyful post! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WONDERFUL!!! So happy for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don’t know you in real life, but I know you through your books and your posts, and I therefore know what a kind, smart and generous person you are. So glad you have found happiness again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this comment, with its kind words, means so much to me.

      Delete
  11. Jennifer Davis-KayMay 12, 2022 at 5:47 PM

    Oh friend – I could not be happier for you! There is nothing more wonderful than love, and what a joy it is to hear you luxuriously soaking in it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Betsy-Tacy friend. You are an expert at sharing love and joy yourself!

      Delete
  12. Oh so happy for you, Claudia (and for David, who is so lucky to have found YOU! Happy, happy, happy!!!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We both feel this is a miracle.

      Delete
  13. This makes my heart so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crying tears of happiness for you, my treasured friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Cecelia! What a lucky day it was when I was brave enough to introduce myself to you at that FAME conference decades ago!

      Delete
  15. Dear Claudia, he is one intelligent man to grasp he needed to put his best foot forward. You are a gem and I'm so happy he recognized that. Soak up these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Chris! And I am definitely putting my best foot forward, too, these days!

      Delete
  16. In these times we need news of people falling in love. Happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, some happy news is lovely now and then!!!

      Delete
  17. I am completely thrilled for you my friend. My smile is broad and my eyes
    twinkle for the joy that has overtaken you. Love is indeed a many splendored thing. Bask in it. Be blessed!~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can feel your eyes twinkling as I type this - and continue to bask!

      Delete
  18. Many congratulations, Claudia! And even more congratulations to David! How did he get so lucky?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel pretty darned lucky, too!

      Delete
  19. It's so wonderful you found each other. I hope you spend the rest of your days holding each other and talking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this wonderful hope for us. I hope it comes true!

      Delete
  20. This is such happy news for a person that brings the joy - lucky David, and lucky you! CONGRATULATIONS!!! May you never stop talking!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, this is a gift to all of us! :) Marie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so happy for you, Claudia! It made my heart sing to read this post. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It made my heart sing to write it!

      Delete