Monday, October 4, 2021

Not THE One, But Still a Very Nice One

I spent the entire month of September in a frenzy of fretting and fuming over reviews for my forthcoming book, The Lost Language, which officially enters the world on October 19. I had allowed myself to indulge in the dangerous pastime of Getting My Hopes Up. Now I was facing the dismal reality of Getting My Hopes Dashed. 

Would this - the book of my heart, the book that I and others think is my best book by far - be THE ONE? My BREAK-OUT BOOK? The book that would, after 61 previous titles, put me ON THE MAP and make me a HOUSEHOLD NAME? Would the book be showered with starred reviews and receive huge heaps of end-of-year accolades? Would it grant me literary IMMORTALITY? 

Or would it be - gasp! - A DUD????!!!!!

Well, with the pub date now two weeks away, I can say, alas and alack, I do not think this book will be THE ONE. I've received four of the major trade reviews so far. All four were good, though two had some quibbles about the book. Two were starred reviews (hooray!), including one of the reviews that had a quibble! Two more are yet to come - IF they come. Many books get no reviews at all. 

With each non-star, and each quibble, my spirits sank. As I read of friends' books raking in the stars and getting reviews in The New York Times and on NPR, my spirits sank still further. As Anne Lamott so brilliantly observes in Bird by Bird, jealousy is the besetting sin of writers: "some wonderful, dazzling successes are going to happen for some of most awful, angry, undeserving writers you know - people who are, in other words, not you." 

But with the most recent glowing-but-non-starred review, I felt for the first time a strange relief. At this point, there is really no way the book can be THE ONE. After all, one of my most lavishly praised writer friends made a point of telling me that HER publisher thinks merely getting THREE starred reviews is a terrible disappointment. Plus, it's late in the year now for buzz for a book to grow; indeed, end-of-year accolades are already being announced for 2021, with my book not yet even published.

So: my book is, by all appearances, not going to be THE ONE. 

Is it, then, a DUD?

That answer did tempt me. In my heart I issued a petulant wail: "Yes, a DUD! Like the 61 DUDS before it! Because that's who I am, a DUD AUTHOR! Who has written NOTHING BUT DUDS for forty solid DUD-filled years!"

But, really, that is a very silly thing to say. 

I have published 62 books. 

I loved writing each and every one.

Every single book received at least one excellent review, often three or four or five or six or seven. Just about all of them were chosen as Junior Library Guild Selections; I seldom visit a public library anywhere that doesn't have quite a few of my books in its collection. I've had books translated into French, Italian, Spanish, Hebrew, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, and Arabic. Best of all, teachers, librarians, and parents have shared them, and kids have read them, and some of these kids have loved them. For one of my non-starred, non-bestselling books published twenty-plus years ago, I still get occasional letters from women now in their twenties who tell me how much the book meant to them when they were twelve. 

The Lost Language, a Junior Library Guild Selection with two starred reviews already and audio rights sold, and four launch events coming up, and lots of love sent its way by friends who read advanced copies, is not a dud! It is my best book, the book I'm proudest of, and one that is having, by any standard, a very nice success. 

Frankly, even if this book were THE ONE, all that would happen is that I'd start agonizing about whether the next book would be AN EVEN BIGGER ONE, or whether I'd be just a one-hit wonder, destined to rest on past laurels and live on past glories. 

I always wished that the fisherman's wife in the fairy tale had contented herself with upgrading from the wretched hovel to the charming cottage, rather than obsessively hankering after ever-larger palaces and ever-greater power. It's not a bad idea to learn how to be contented with getting, not EVERYTHING, but ENOUGH. 

Maybe it's time for me to start learning this now.






12 comments:

  1. It's all such a mystery. Some dopey books are ridiculously popular, some of the best books of all time (say, featuring a pair of besties in early 1900s Minnesota) aren't as well-known as they should be. Your books brought joy to you, the writer, and I can't tell you how much joy they've brought to me, a reader. You're a household name in THIS household, anyway!! I love where you ultimately landed here. And four launch events! I certainly hope I can attend one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, the mystery of why books WE love passionately aren't loved with equal passion by the whole entire world . . . Your comments are so kind, and so welcome. Of course, BT people always love the best books, always! I hope you can attend a launch event, too. I would love to have you there.

      Delete
  2. Love this. Thank you for sharing it, Claudia. And I'm eager to read your book. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Todd! I hope you like it! Of course, we all hope the whole world will like our books!

      Delete
  3. This daughter of a linguist (well psycho-linguistic researcher) cannot wait to get your book at my local indie. I will put it on my shelf next to my window, where the book will be surrounded (at least on one side) by millions of stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, this is what I call a true friend!! And yes, there are stars everywhere, if we only have eyes to see them and hearts to appreciate them.....

      Delete
  4. This is an absolutely beautiful book, a moving story, written gorgeously. How ever sales go, you can be proud of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Scott. I definitely put my whole heart into this one - and when we writers do that, we so yearn to connect with the hearts of readers.

      Delete
  5. Hi Claudia, I haven't read your book yet (I'm going to!). I just want to say that I totally get how you wanted this book to be The One, and that desire to have something shoot through the roof and be "successful" in all the ways our society tells us is important-- top of the lists, bestseller, author prestige. How frustrating when that doesn't happen after all the work you've put in! But fame and this kind of success is fickle, a lottery you may or may not win. It's hard not to win in that way when we see others doing it. It's harder still to stand in your own accomplishment without that fame and know that you've done something really good, you've done your best, you've affected so many people with your work. And you have! 61 books??? Wow, I hadn't realized! I am so impressed with you, as a writer and person of honor, all the things you share about yourself, and so much more. You inspire me. I hope you can celebrate your awesome self and tell this capitalistic model of success to go way back and sit down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I missed replying to this lovely comment, dear Theresa. I love the idea of telling the capitalistic model of success to "go way back and sit down. BT references are the BEST!

      Delete
  6. CLAUDIA! (all caps because I truly am shouting) I FREAKING LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH I WANT TO MARRY IT!!!! I wept halfway through while reading it in a coffeeshop. I finished it last night and promptly handed it to my daughter. It is going on my Christmas list. I'm about to go leave Amazon and GoodReads reviews. I will mention it on Facebook and again on Maud-L. Tell me, tell me, what else can I do to be an ambassador for this book? I have read many of your 60+ books and thoroughly enjoyed every single one of them, but you are so so right: this is the best book you have ever written. Oh, Claudia -- wow. Congratulations to you. I am in awe, I am enraptured, I cannot wait for a little time to go by so I can read it all over again. LOVED LOVED LOVED COULD NOT HAVE LOVED THIS BOOK MORE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for these generous comments, my friend. I am going to tuck them in my heart and keep them for whenever I am discouraged, well, about anything!!

      Delete