Thursday, August 26, 2021

Defeating the Demons of Doubt

A new friend sent me this email yesterday: "I know self-doubt comes to all writers, even successful ones like yourself. When those doubts come, what do you tell yourself?"

My first thought was: Hmmm. What DO I tell myself? Because right now I'm experiencing a level of self-doubt more intense than anything I've had in my previous forty years as a published children's book writer. I'm totally consumed with self-doubt! I'm paralyzed with self-doubt! I haven't written anything since a major rejection in January, weeping, wailing, and wallowing in self-doubt!

It is time for some stern self-talk.

But what am I supposed to say, given that my past platitudes don't seem to be working for me any longer? The chief platitude is that, when it comes to writing, and to life in general, it's the journey that matters. It's not reaching the dreamed-of destination of publication, but the joy in the writing itself: the process, not the product. It was so easy for me to say this when I was getting published with relative ease. Now that (to speak with frightening frankness) I'm not sure if I'll ever be published again, my glib assurances that publication isn't what matters, oh no, it's WRITING that matters, ring a bit hollow. 

For to be a WRITER, in almost every case, is to yearn for a READER, for that deep and beautiful form of human connection. To be an ACTOR is to yearn for an AUDIENCE. Few actors would be satisfied with delivering even the most heart-wrenching rendition of Hamlet's famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy merely to themselves in the bathroom mirror. Artists, musicians, chefs... all crave to share their creations with others,  and to have those creations appreciated by others. We just do.

So we start to doubt that this is ever going to happen. What if we NEVER get published? Or get published and our beloved book is a DUD? Or get published ONCE and never again? What if, what if, WHAT IF?

Huh, Claudia? What do you have to say NOW to your no longer smugly confident self?

Deep breath. Deep breath. Deep breath.

Okay.

1. It is impossible to know whether we will ever be published, or (if published) well reviewed and showered with accolades. As physicist Neils Bohr famously quipped, "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." We simply can't know this. It isn't ours to know. Stories abound of hugely successful books that were rejected many times before receiving an offer, or largely ignored after publication only to achieve posthumous glory. WE SIMPLY CAN'T KNOW.

2. But we CAN know with absolute certainty that NO unwritten book can EVER be published or indeed ever shared with any reader anywhere.

3. Publication comes in many forms. So actually, my first point, as written, is untrue. Today in the age of the internet, self-publication is increasingly respected and rewarding. Indeed, I'm self-publishing this blog post and expect to get a couple hundred readers as a result - a couple hundred other human beings who will read and ponder these words and perhaps draw benefit from them and maybe cherish them forever! Smaller publishers based outside of New York often lavish love  - and significant promotion - on their authors. I have one friend who has joyously published all her DOZENS of books with small publishers she finds through a modest amount of online research. I am pondering writing more poetry and trying to publish some of it, where publication will mean having the poems appear in a tiny publication read by hardly anybody and paying nothing whatsoever, but this will still please me enormously. There are so many different ways of being published. 

4. Finally, well, finally, the platitude I rejected above is, in the end, as true as anything else I've said here. If writing brings you joy, just DO IT. I miss writing. I miss it intensely. I miss lying on the couch with my mug of Swiss Miss hot chocolate beside me, scribbling lines on a blank page of narrow-ruled paper with my Pilot fine-tipped pen. I miss that little glow of satisfaction when I complete a page, or one single poem to share with a few friends. The fact is that I happen to love being a writer, which I realize more keenly now that I'm not letting myself be one. 

It might have been otherwise. I might have realized that I didn't miss writing, that the agony and ecstasy of it was too hard on my heart, and I would have a much happier life without the rollercoaster of emotions that comes with being a creator - and in particular, a creator who longs to share her creations with the wider world. If you are doubting whether you want to continue writing, or painting, or making music, those are doubts worth weighing. No one has to be a writer or an artist of any kind. We can walk away at any time (and then walk back at any time).  One friend did so happily, decades ago, saying she was tired of being "daunted, taunted, and haunted" by unpublished manuscripts. She hasn't had a moment of regret. 

So: doubt can be an enemy, but it can also be a friend. 

Which one it is can be up to us.






15 comments:

  1. I needed this article. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these kind words. I needed to write this!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoy your blog. Your words always ring true for me! Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know how much wisdom I have, but all of it is hard won!

      Delete
  3. Completely copacetic with this attitude. Adapted it in 2012, at least in part by putting submission and the hope for publication on a back burner,
    and flourished as a result - as writer, self-editor, and all-around human. I'd still be waiting for my book had I not turned to a small traditional literary press - which I did after many years of re-instituting submissions. Totally agree that there are so many blossoming options for creative publication...Only wish I was more competent with the marketing - but I try to focus on who I AM reaching rather than who I'm not. Putting publication on the back burner definitely freed me to stay connected to the passion to write and the joy of what I choose to write. Thank you for this wonderful validation, Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I missed seeing this comment when it was first posted and just read it now. This is EXACLTY what I want my life to be like! If I can only make it happen... which of course is entirely within my own control.....I want so much to reconnect with joy.....

      Delete
  4. As much as I am in the best place I've ever been with my writing - writing poetry for the very young - collections, board books, picture books - that generates tremendous joy, for the first time in my long life of various kinds of writing (and short book published life), I can imagine letting go. The marketing has been exhausting, but more significantly, draining and stressful. It's not how I want to spend whatever time I have. And so though I am absolutely loving the writing, I can envision for the first time, should nothing I love to write be publishable, spending more of my time doing work that has impact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this thoughtful response, dear Carol. It's so challenging to balance the joy of creation with the stress of marketing. And good to know we have choices about to spend the minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, and years of our lives - and can change these choices whenever our heart dictates.

      Delete
  5. Wise and wonderful thoughts. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Claudia, again and again you strike gold with your blogposts. I ask, how is it possible that you know what is on my mind, let alone a whole bunch of other minds? Kinda magical. I love these posts (but sadly, somehow, miss a few) and honestly think your next book is a compilation of these wonderful blogposts. Truly. There isn't a writer out there or creative, for that matter, who wouldn't benefit from these humble, poignant, authentic, musings. THANK YOU for every drop of insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this generous reply, dear Carmela. This post first appeared almost a month ago, and was shared by me on FB then, but somehow popped up there again today. I had to read it over again after your comment came in to try to remember what I said! Sad but true, I haven't followed the advice I gave myself there to let myself enjoy writing, come what may. I'm STILL in an agony of waiting for reviews on this latest book - this after FOUR DECADES of getting reviews good, bad, indifferent or totally absent on some sixty books. You'd think I'd have toughened up a bit by now, wouldn't you? But for this book I let myself have higher hopes than ever before, and oh, hope can be a dangerous thing... But your lovely message does make me want to keep on writing blog posts at least!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing this post more widely! I don't stop by the blog as often as I should, but when I do I have never been disappointed.

    ReplyDelete