Tuesday, October 18, 2011

What Next?

I just finished my massive revisions on my novel for FSG, the book about the perfect goody-goody girl who takes her mother's lunch to school by mistake, a lunch with a knife in it for cutting her mother's apple, and then finds herself facing mandatory expulsion under the school's zero tolerance policies for weapons. I emailed it off five minutes ago. The changes I made from Margaret's suggestions were so terrific! I cut out 30 pages, motivated Sierra's change from perfect girl to rebel much more effectively, fixed many tiny inconsistencies and other puzzling holes in the formerly sprawling story. Hooray!

But now, for the first time in as long as I can remember, I have no new book lined up to write after this one. I've groped toward some ideas, written huge chunks of one possibility that I'm not sure I like, written an entire chapter book that still isn't right but maybe could be made to be right. But I have no next contract right now, no definite "This is going to be my next book" plan.

I'm trying to feel excited rather than stressed about this. The writing world is wide open for me right now. Should I write the memoir I've been thinking about? Maybe now's the time? Or return to poetry? Or something completely different, utterly unlike anything I can now even imagine?

Watch this spot!

3 comments:

  1. Whatever it is, our household can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warning! I am watching the spot. Your whimsical self will come to the rescue with fairy dust and magic.

    I can't wait to learn more about the girl who takes her mother's lunch to school by mistake. Do you have a title?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lorena and Clara!

    Title is still TBD.
    Some possibilities:
    HONOR STUDENT EXPELLED
    ZERO TOLERANCE
    NO EXCEPTIONS
    THE RULE TRAP
    SIERRA SUSPENDED
    Do you like any of these?

    ReplyDelete