Monday, May 23, 2011

Summer Fun

Despite two weeks - can it be? - of rain, and more predicted - despite its still being some days away from Memorial Day weekend, I'm pronouncing today to be the first day of summer here in Boulder. Because today is the day that my grade-school friend Kim arrives from New Jersey for several days of play. So far we haven't made any plans except for rest, relaxation, and what my sister, Cheryl, always calls "rebuilding our shattered health."

We may go to Caffe Sole tonight to hear their Monday night jazz, where my saxophonist son Gregory will be performing. Tomorrow night we have the meeting of my women's book group at my house, to discuss Jane Juska's hilarious and heart-rending memoir of the late-life search for love and sex, A Round-Heeled Woman. We'll do some hiking on the trails near my house, weather permitting. It is always a treat to take the bus to Denver, browse in the LoDo Tattered Cover bookstore, then take the free 16th shuttle across town and tour the Denver Art Museum, where right now paintings from the Italian Renaissance are on display, followed by lunch at darling Dozen's, tucked away in a charming old house. We'll stroll along Pearl Street, of course. And have a drink, or two, at the St. Julien hotel. And we'll talk, talk, talk, talk, and talk.

I think we may have enough fun to fill three days. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment