Sunday, May 29, 2011

A New Plan: Enter Hercules

Despite my cheerful little-red-hen work ethic, I have now discovered that some jobs cannot be done alone.

I actually discovered this previously, when (if memory serves me rightly), I was editor-in-chief for one issue of our high school newspaper. Bad at delegating, I wrote every article, edited every article, did all the layout, all the production work, and then quit exhausted. That probably isn't literally true - how could it be? - but I do remember biting off far more than I could chew, because I didn't know how to get anybody else to chew it for me (a fairly disgusting analogy, but you get the point).

I realized yesterday that I cannot do this house-cleaning-out project alone. I do not have the strength to clean the Augean stables all by myself. So this afternoon I sent out an email inviting philosophy grad students who would like to earn some extra money this summer to come join me. Within two hours, eight had replied. More may yet respond. I have my crew!

Eight philosophy graduate students plus one valiant and desperate professor may be equal to Hercules. Here's hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment