Wednesday, July 28, 2010

No Poltergeist, After All

Two weeks ago I wrote about a possible poltergeist in my church: I had arrived at church with a key to the church on my key ring, and left that same night with NO church key on my key ring, but two STRANGE keys that I had never seen before, presumably keys that would open the gate to some magical kingdom.

Alas, it is my sad duty to report that I subsequently found the church key in the pocket of my skirt when I wore that same skirt a few days later, and I discovered that the other two keys open the regular lock and deadbolt lock of the door at Grandpa's house. I had no idea that I had keys to Grandpa's house, but apparently I did.

So there was no poltergeist. No keys to a magical kingdom. Just humdrum reality.

Some people are reassured - nay, gleeful - when the laws of natural science end up being vindicated yet again. Indeed, some people devote their lives to debunking claims of the extraterrestrial or supernatural, finding ho-hum explanations of crop circles, flying saucer abductions, ghostly visitations, not to mention anything to do with fairies, elves, gnomes, and sprites. Oh, and God.

Not me. I'm with Hamlet, who said, "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

But a poltergeist in residence at my church is not one of them.

1 comment: