Despite a series of recent discouragements in my writing career, back in March I talked myself into starting a new chapter book, tentatively titled The Angel Tree.
But I couldn’t get into the story. It was hard to get to know the characters. They felt like mannequins manipulated by me rather than real, live kids driving the action. My notes to myself (a representative few quoted verbatim here) went like this: “Maybe I no longer know how to write a book. Maybe I will never write a book again” – “I am not feeling good about this book! I think it’s b/c I am not believing in the story” – “I am just moving pieces on a chessboard” – “I can’t believe any kids today would like this book.” Frowny face emojis abounded.
My favorite part of writing a longer work is the momentum you get partway through, where each event precipitates the next in a way both surprising and inevitable, where you finally know where the story is going (even if with only a vague idea of how it will get there) – the stage of the process where you wake up each morning eager to be swept away by the swirling waters carrying your story through dizzying rapids to the satisfying safety of shore.
This time, I wasn’t feeling any momentum on this project. None at all.
Was
my book DOOMED?!
Note: I wrote this originally at the invitation of the fabulous Carol Lynch Williams for the Writing and Illustrating for Young Readers (WIFYR) community she created in Utah, but she told me I could share it here, too!



No comments:
Post a Comment