Tuesday, March 5, 2024

The Worst Thing about Being a Writer

The best thing about being a writer is, for me, extremely obvious. It's the sheer joy of writing, of course! 

The worst thing about being a writer? 

Waiting.

And by waiting, I mean, waiting for the world to render its verdict on what I have written. Waiting on the reaction of my writing group, my agent, my editor, the editorial board at my publisher, and (if the book is fortunate enough to be published) for trade reviews, reader reviews, and any kind of nice little fuss that might be made over it. 

I have spent most of 2024 so far waiting re two different projects: first, waiting to see if Book I Just Finished would be accepted for publication, and second, waiting for reviews on Book That Is Coming Out in June. Waiting as the minutes, hours, and days slipped by. 

Now, I do have to acknowledge that I am extremely lucky to be in this position, to have two different book projects that have cleared early hurdles and that I love with all my heart. 

But it doesn't feel all that lucky when I'm waiting. It actually feels more like agony. And it feels hard to do anything else BUT wait, which is the very worst thing an author person can do. 

Everyone says - and it's true - that instead of twiddling your thumbs and checking email on your phone every few minutes and consoling yourselves with nibbling all day long on Easter candy (Cadbury eggs! Russell Stover chocolate-covered strawberry-cream eggs! Jellybeans, the original Brach's ones of my childhood!), you should get busy WRITING THE NEXT BOOK.

But, gosh, that is hard. Because it's a lot more fun writing a book if there is at least SOME chance of its being read by somebody someday. And its chances of being read are greatly influenced by the outcome of the very things you are waiting on. In my long career, I've had one publisher reject a book of mine because of the disappointingness of my past sales - something that would doom the next book, too. And publishers are less likely to want your next book if the current book turns out to be a DUD. And I've had my share of duds.

Waiting for the editorial verdict on Book I Just Finished was complicated by the fact that my agent is currently spending a month in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia. As any news from the publisher would go first to him, I looked up the time difference between Boulder, Colorado, and Ho Chi Minh City: 14 hours, so I could time my obsessive email checking accordingly. Plus, it's a very unusual book for the children's book market: a book about an emotionally intense sixth-grade girl who falls in love with - wait for it - ancient Greek philosophy (!) and uses it to navigate various crises at home and at school. The wisdom of dead white men is not a super-hot topic in the publishing world right now.

As the weeks went by, my hopes for the book dimmed even more. When my editor loves a book of mine, she responds right away - last time, it was within FOUR HOURS of her receiving it! When she doesn't love a book, she takes her time to write a long letter laying out the faults of the book in excruciating detail. And "right away" had come and gone. And with it, any hope for the book. 

Oh, well.

But then, last Thursday, Leap Year's Day, as I was driving along, I glanced at my phone at a stoplight, and there was an email from my agent with "Offer" in the subject line. (If it's bad news, or no news at all, he uses the subject line "Update"). Unbelievably, astonishingly, miraculously, they are going to publish my book. 

I was too stunned even to be happy. But my sweetheart, David, was happy enough for both of us (after having been forced to listen to all my weeping and wailing as I waited). Here are the flowers he gave me to celebrate, with the manuscript next to them and some works of ancient Greek philosophy that star in the book.

So now, I'm back to waiting for reviews on Book That Is Coming Out in June. More on that to come...



4 comments:

  1. Oh, dear, yes, that waiting sounds excruciating. But oh, dear Claudia! Congratulations!!!!!! What a surprise happy ending!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear brilliant, beautiful, BT friend!

      Delete
  2. I love your mix of a young girl using "dead white men" to navigate her world. This made me laugh. Kids love Greek Mythology. Now I have to wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you like it!

      Delete