Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Reflections on "Closure"

I read a piece of blogging advice some time ago. One thing it said was: "If you have a lapse in your blogging, don't call attention to it with any explanations (for who cares?). Just jump back in." Well, as I ignored the rest of the advice ("make sure to repeat lots of key words so you rise up in the algorithms for Google searches"), I'm ignoring this one, as well. 

I drifted away from blogging toward the end of last year as part of a larger reconsideration of my entire career as a children's book author and scholar - of my entire LIFE! But now it's the first day of a new month, time to start a whole NEW LIFE, so here is the post I would have written on January 1, if I had been in a blogging mood then.

My poet friend Molly Fisk promotes the practice, not of making a resolution, but of choosing a word for a new year: a word to ponder, to reflect upon, to live with as a thought-provoking companion. Actually, she says sometimes it's not so much that you choose the word, but the word chooses you.

The word that chose me was "closure."

I was discouraged about my career as children's book creator and as children's literature scholar. The world of both authors and scholars was changing so much, and I was feeling too old and weary to change along with it. I was also (joyously) distracted by suddenly, shockingly, stunningly, falling in love in a totally life-transforming way. So: did I even WANT to be part of this changing world? And if I did, did it still want ME? 

One of my friends found out her husband was retiring when she heard him say, in a phone conversation, "Well, I guess it's time for me to hang up my spurs." Maybe it was time for me to hang up MY spurs and ride off into the sunset. When I took early retirement from my career as a tenured philosophy professor almost a decade ago, I told myself not to think of this as "retirement" but just as a career change. My self-given command was: "Do not go gentle into that good pasture." Now I found myself asking, "What's so bad about the pasture?" The pasture was starting to sound awfully alluring. It might be time to think about discovering some satisfying form of closure on the life I had lived for so long. 

Another poet friend offered a writing prompt for January 1 that went like this: "fences that close, fences that open, pastures beyond." Ooh! THAT'S what I needed to be thinking about for this new year!

I've been thinking about this for two months now. In future posts, I'll share some of what I've figured out about what closure is coming to mean to me - and how different this is from what I thought it would be. Maybe it isn't closure at all? But whatever it is, I think I'm liking it....









9 comments:

  1. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved scientific research and only wanted to be in my dark room with an electron microscope humming along. And then change happened, I was teaching and then change I had a baby. And then 2 more and I was teaching and my research fell behind. And then I went back to graduate school and won awards and my children won awards and were becoming adults. But life changes, my marriage that was not happy became dangerous and I needed to make changes. I did and moved and lost my research program and started in another discipline and being the boss. My children were far away and I was alone. But God is good, and there was happiness in love and science took a back seat and children grew up and there were grandchildren. Now what is next…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many changes - makes me think of that David Bowie song, Ch-ch-changes... Thank you for sharing how you found a way to make these changes work for you and find happiness in them.

      Delete
  3. Claudia, whatever you do, please don’t stop blogging because you never know who you truly resonate with(me, especially today) with your poignant and witty words. I’ve been mulling all of this for myself, having my life take many critical directions this past year. You’re so accomplished and now your inner wisdom is nudging you. 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for these kind words about my blog. I missed it when I wasn't posting! It helps me make sense of my life to ponder it in this way. Sometimes I feel I don't even have any "inner wisdom" until I distill it into words.

      Delete
  4. Claudia, what a gorgeous entry. I love your humor, I love you disregarding advice, I love you questioning the common wisdom about pastures. You go, girl! I'm ready to saunter on out there, too. Raising a glass to closure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Mariole! And I'm thinking that a big part of what closure is going to be for me is ignoring EVERYBODY'S advice! If I can't do this at age 68, then when??

      Delete
  5. It's a strange time to be an OLD author, when you're still brimming with ideas and vigor, but you sense that you're growing more and more irrelevant. I'm not looking for closure. I'm looking for a way to graze the green, new-grown pasture better. Please keep blogging when you feel the urge. We need to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, dear Ruby. I love the idea of finding a way "to graze the green, new-grown pasture better" - yes! And it's not so much that *I* want to change... but I want the world, at least the part of the world that loved me just the way I was, to stay the same forever - and there is no wish less likely to be granted than that! I plan to blog more about all of this over the course of the next few weeks or months...

      Delete