Monday, January 3, 2022

My Goal for the New Year: To Let Myself Fall in Love with Writing Again

A friend texted me this morning: "Been wondering if you've given up on your blog - I keep checking for a new post." Why, yes, I HAD given up on my blog, because 2021 was for me the year of GIVING UP ON EVERYTHING. Or at least, giving up on everything that had to do with my career as a writer.

The year started with a devastating rejection on a project I was very proud of. Like all writers, I've had my share of rejections over the past 40 years, but this one hit me particularly hard. But I recovered enough from this disappointment to start pinning extravagant hopes on my new book, due out in October, the book of my heart, the best book I'd ever written by far. I sent it out into the world expecting the world to love it as much as I did. And the world . . . didn't. 

Mind you, they loved it just fine. The Lost Language got two starred reviews, had audio rights and German translation rights sold, and was named a Notable Verse Novel of the year by the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) and also an NCTE Charlotte Huck Recommended Title, as well as a Blue Ribbon title from the Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books (the review journal I most respect). Not too shabby! Plus, friends near and wide read the book and told me they loved it, including the daughter of my fifth-grade teacher, who told me how proud her mother would have been of me. All good! Or good enough! 

Except that it wasn't good enough for me. No amount of praise would have been good enough for me. So I pouted. And sulked. And moped. Even as I reacted in this way, I knew I was being ridiculous, that the search for external validation is ALWAYS doomed to disappointment because NO amount of external validation will ever be enough. It is a trap. It is a treadmill. But I just couldn't stop.

A wise friend of mine told me this tidbit of advice from the Al-Anon meetings she attends: "Expectations are just resentments waiting to happen." Sure enough, I became resentful. And insanely jealous of friends whose books were getting the kind of acclaim I had dreamed of for mine. And deeply depressed about whether the world of children's book writing had any place left in it for me any more. I decided that, after a full four decades as a published children's book writer, I would retire at the end of the year. Writers can retire, too, can't they? 

Then, somehow, I somehow started to believe in myself as a writer again. It helped that I read a terrific book called Breakthrough: How to Overcome Doubt, Fear, and Resistance to Be Your Ultimate Creative Self, by my fellow children's book author Todd Mitchell. It helped that I reread Elizabeth Gilbert's brilliant and delightful Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear. 

Mostly, though, I just got bored with being miserable. I desperately missed writing. I found myself having fantasies of being rescued from the retirement plan by some freaky miracle. But I knew that the only person who could rescue me was. . . me.

And for 2022 my goal is to let myself fall in love with writing again. I'm going to write poetry. I'm going to journal. I'll try the creative form of the personal essay and even try a short story or two for grownups - and maybe a memoir? And also... yes, more children's books! I have an older manuscript to revise... and the glimmer of an idea for something new.

Now, the best place to let oneself fall in love with writing - or in love with anything! - is, of course, Paris. So I bought myself a plane ticket to Paris and booked myself nine nights at a suitably Bohemian hotel on the Left Bank by the Luxembourg Gardens. I love Paris when it's gray and gloomy. I love Paris in the rain. I will love Paris even masked and distanced and spending much of my time alone in my sweet little hotel room. 

I'm supposed to fly there... tomorrow!!! My flights (Denver to Minneapolis, Minneapolis to Paris) could still be canceled for wintry weather or COVID-related staff shortages. If this happens, I'll be disappointed but also relieved to be spared the challenges of travel during the pandemic. In that case, I'll make my own little writing retreat right here in Boulder. But I hope this trip happens. How can I NOT fall in love with writing again if go to Paris to do it?

May good things happen for all of us in 2022.




16 comments:

  1. I loved your book, for whatever that is worth. I hope your flights work out and you find Paris inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claudia, I really needed to hear this! Thank you and bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maya! I always write what I need to hear myself!!!

      Delete
  3. I am so, so happy to read this post, Claudia! And excited to hear you are (hopefully!) going to Paris! You deserve a wonderful trip and so much more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Jenn, thank you! We all deserve good things in 2022 - and always!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to hearing how this pans out. (I have dropped out of the creative scene for a few years now…not quite sure why.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see.... but even your Facebook posts are little creative gems, my friends. I think of you as someone whose entire life is a work of art. I am so looking forward to my "spree in Paris" - to cite a favorite book!!!

      Delete
  5. I am imagining you walking to a patisserie and enjoying something with chocolat in it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So far I am just at the Minneapolis airport waiting for the Paris flight to board, but I'm having a glass of wine and a warm baguette with butter, so the fun is beginning!

      Delete
  6. So much to celebrate here. Hooray for you! Hooray for your grateful readers! Hooray for Paris! Have a magical trip, Claudia. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, beloved friend! It's challenging being here - in winter, during this time of COVID - but Paris is magical, always....

      Delete
  7. Thank you, thank you, thank you for voicing what so many of us feel. I am selfishly happy that you are not retiring and have embraced writing so that I and your readers may have more great books from you. I hope you are now safely settled in Paris, enjoying its wonder. Big love to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your blog, it's so raw and inspiring and I am cheering you on as you fall back in love! And I'm glad you are, because I am a big fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Donna! You, too, write with remarkable candor about your own writing journey and its joys as well as its disappointments. Here's to a wonderful creative new year for both of us!

      Delete
  9. A wonderful post, Claudia! I thought of the song lyric, “I love Paris in the springtime…” I like the idea of falling in love with our creative endeavors—whatever they are!

    ReplyDelete