Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Saying Yes to Life, and Saying Yes in Death

This is a post I hadn't expected to be writing, and I wasn't sure it was even appropriate to go public with this private family grief. But I know there are readers of this blog that care about me and my family. So here it is. 

My year is off to a strange, sad start. My husband died a week ago today. 

He had been declining more drastically each month from advanced Parkinson's, made worse by COVID-caused isolation in the care home where he now had to live. I hadn't been able to visit him in-person for months, although we had phone calls and staff-facilitated FaceTime. But I could tell he was slipping away further day by day. Still it was a shock to get a call early on that Tuesday morning that he was gone from this world forever. 

My older son, Christopher, and I had already planned to spend that day together. Christopher had told me over the holidays that he wanted to ask his boss if his mom could come along for one day of driving on "the highway route" which is up in the mountains; his current truck-driver job is driving new truck models to gather data for the engineers. He was so excited to have me witness his driving prowess in navigating a huge semi over treacherous Berthoud Pass. At first, I had told him, "Oh, no, you don't need to do that, I have so much work of my own that I need to do." Yes, I actually said that. And he said, "Aw, come on, it will be fun!" So I agreed to go. 

I used this anecdote in the end-of-year guest sermon I gave in church on December 27th, paired with the parable of the banquet in the Gospel of Luke, where the rich man invites countless friends to a feast he is hosting, and they all come up with excuses for saying no, so the man issues invitations to the hungry and homeless instead. I built the sermon around what I was calling "the Gospel according to Jerry Herman," composer of the musicals Hello DollyMame, and La Cage aux Folles, all of which feature a show-stopping song about seizing the moment and living for TODAY.  Perfect for my purposes, Mame even utters the famous line, "Life's a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death." So my message in the sermon was: when you are invited to the richness of the banquet of life that God has laid out for us, say YES. So what choice did I have but say YES to Christopher's invitation to spend a day riding in his big rig through the gorgeous wintry mountains of Colorado?
 
We had already set the day for this adventure to be that Tuesday. When I got the news about Rich's passing, I called both boys immediately (my younger son, Gregory, now lives in Chicago). Christopher and I agreed to proceed as planned. Rich loved the mountains so much and engaged in so much environmental activism to preserve their unspoiled beauty. The "highway route" goes past the turnoff for the very area of wilderness he loved best: the Troublesome. We would have the whole day to be together in the mountains he loved, and to listen to music he loved (Mauricio Pollini playing Chopin, the overture to The Magic Flute, Arlo Guthrie singing about Alice's restaurant), and to share memories. 

Well, an unexpected snowstorm came up, and the Eisenhower tunnel was closed for our return trip, and we had to spend an extra three hours backtracking to go over Berthoud Pass a second time, this time in pitch-black darkness with intensely blowing snow. Christopher, always cheerful and chipper, said, "I think this is Daddy's way of having us spend more time in the mountains today." I said, "I just hope this isn't Daddy's way of having us come spend eternity in heaven with him today!" But Christopher handled the hairpin curves with amazing calm confidence. We had left in the morning at 8:30 and didn't get back to "the yard" until 7:30 that evening. It was exhausting for both of us. But it also felt so right: Rich loved grueling mountain treks and preposterous plans gone awry . And so we had ours. This summer Gregory will come, and we will scatter Rich's ashes in the Troublesome, along Trail 1135 on Arapaho Ridge. 

I'm very sad, of course, but also enormously relieved that Rich won't linger in depression and pain in a nursing home for another twenty years, as happened to his mother.  I have many conflicting emotions now, but the dominant one is gratitude. I am grateful not only that he is now released from suffering, but that I did say YES to the banquet on that remarkable day that proved the most fitting way to remember the man my children and I loved. And I'm grateful that I said YES to all the adventures we had together as a family.

When that final farewell comes, may we all be able to be grateful for the times we said YES.


 


27 comments:

  1. Claudia, what a treasure this memory is! I love how you bring and tie your emotions, your shared love and the quest to be inspired by biblical text. Thank you so much. It's time to begin that healing process now...of gathering and remembering, missing and longing, with the gratitude of life well lived. Keeping you in my prayers. Shelby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shelby. It helped me to write this post - and that day was such a gift to me.

      Delete
  2. Oh, I love you writing. And I am so very sorry for this tremendous loss. What a lovely way to honor Rich and your son, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart goes out to you, but I am so warmed by the prospect that God gave you and your son a beautiful day of remembrance. Thank you so much for sharing despite your grief. Hugs and prayers for comfort :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. The day WAS such a gift from God. It felt like one of life's small tiny, beautiful miracles.

      Delete
  4. This is lovely, Claudia. I'm so glad you had your day in those mountains your husband loves. I'm sorry for your loss, but grateful you said YES to the banquet. Thank you for sharing here. I pray you will have peace in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these kind words. I'm grateful I said YES to the banquet, too. There is certainly nothing like the death of a loved one to make us all keenly aware that we need to say YES to living as fully as we can in the time that is given us.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing this, Claudia. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Todd. These kind words mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful tribute to your beloved life partner,Claudia. I am so sorry for your pain and loss. May his memories be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky. Death can be kind in blurring the contours of any not-so-good memories and brightening the good ones all the more.

      Delete
  7. I’m so sorry. I know it has been a long haul. You are a beautiful, sensitive, kind soul. Here’s to 2021 and kindness and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I love your wish for 2021: yes, may there be kindness and love this year for all of us.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry for your grief, but glad to hear your husband is no longer suffering. I hope your family is able to continue to support each other well in the weeks ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. One of the blessings of his passing is not only his release from suffering, but enhanced closeness for those of us who mourn him. I'm so grateful for both of my sons right now.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful message! Thank you Claudia. I'm so sorry for you and your family's loss. <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I just chanced to come across your blog, Mrs. Mills, as I am reading through as many of your books as I can get from my library (I am a new writer). I am so sorry to hear about your sad loss. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. They are a balm in this year that has been difficult for so many. May you feel God's peace that passes all understanding. ~Andi Michelson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for these comments, Andi. I wish you luck in your writing journey! I hope it is filled with joy.

      Delete
  11. Oh, Claudia. What a mix of emotions this news brings. No one can quite bring to words the beauty of grief + relief + sadness + gratitude like you can. Sending love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, beloved friend. I can't believe that you and I had our wonderful catch-up chat the day before this happened. How quickly life can change... and how grateful I am for your friendship.

      Delete
  12. It took me lots of work to find it, but I think this must be trail 1135:

    https://www.fs.fed.us/ivm/index.html?minx=-11845344&miny=4913047&maxx=-11819012&maxy=4928296&exploremenu=no&activity=Biking

    Apparently it is fun for mountain biking:

    https://www.singletracks.com/bike-trails/arapaho-ridge/

    I'll add it to my hiking todo list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Scott, I so love your curious brain that would follow up on my post by a search to find trail 1135 on Arapaho Ridge! When we go there to scatter Rich's ashes this summer, Christopher will be the only one in our family who can lead us there. (And now I actually do have the settings on my blog set up to notify me for comments - I thought I had accomplished this when you pointed out the problem to me last time, but NOW I actually DO!)

      Delete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved husband. How hard that must have been during COVID, to not be with him. That's just not fair or right. But you've turned this difficult situation on its head by spending that glorious time with your son. Your essay was so moving, and I love how you tied together your Christmas message, and Auntie Mame, and the journey through the mountains to offer beautiful insight to all of us. May your friends and family comfort you, and I will keep you in my prayers. Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this beautiful comment, Erin. It helped me to write this post, and I'm so grateful if can speak to anyone else. And yes, losing a loved one during COVID is the worst.... but I know so many others are in my sad position of not being able to say that final goodbye.... but the drive with my son that day allowed me to say the farewell in my heart.

      Delete