Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Most Productive Day Ever

That is what today is going to be.

I've planned it in advance to be that way.

I'm telling this to the whole entire world (well, to the average of twenty people a day who read this blog) to try to ensure that it actually happens.

Now, generally I'm opposed to heroic efforts, favoring instead the slow-but-steady approach. My literary hero is Anthony Trollope, who wrote a small, fixed quota of words every single morning and then went off to his full-time post as a high-ranking position in the British Post Office, rather than Balzac, who (I've heard) would lock himself into a room and not come out until he had finished an entire novel. Writing for me is a marathon, not a sprint.

But once in a while, a sprint can be energizing, such as when one is simply so overwhelmed with the volume of work that one can hardly bear the thought of getting out of bed to face any of it, when even that one hour a day is too daunting.

Time for a sprint! Time for an all-out, give-it-everything-you've-got-for-just-one-day-effort!

So my plan today is to work for not one hour, but TWELVE, not from 5-6 a.m., but from 5 a.m. to 6 p.m. My goal is to finish today exhausted but relieved. My goal is to finish today with so much accomplished that I won't wake up in the middle of the night tonight itemizing in my head all the crushing tasks on my to-do list. My goal is to get so much done today that I can go back to my hour-a-day routine comfortably for the rest of December.

Now, I also know that my most productive day ever is a TYPICAL day for many people, including many of my writer friends. But comparisons are odious, and these friends are not me. I'm an hour-a-day girl who is just about not only to double or quadruple her productivity, but to twelve-i-fy it.

So: I have eight more minutes to finish this blog post, take one teensy peek at Facebook, and then begin. 

Ready, set, GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment