Thursday, July 9, 2009

A Blog I Like: The Longstockings



The Longstockings are a group of eight children’s book authors – Jenny Han, Siobhan Vivian, Coe Booth, Lisa Greenwald, Caroline Hickey, Kathryne B Alfred, Lisa Graff, and Daphne Grab - who write about their books, other people’s books, favorite places to write, timely and fascinating news from the children’s book world, and more, in a blog “for the love of Pippi (and all things children’s books).” When I visit their site, I feel as if I’ve been invited in to spend time with this warm community of children’s book friends.

I first checked out The Longstockings because I was interested in member Lisa Graff, who has a double life as an editor at my publisher, Farrar, Straus & Giroux, and as an author of wonderful middle-grade fiction, including her debut novel, The Thing About Georgie. The thing about Georgie is that he’s a dwarf, nervous about the impending arrival of a new baby brother who will likely be taller than he is very soon: it’s a funny and touching book, starring a character who is both extremely unusual and extremely easy to identify with.
The Longstockings blog also has links to tons of other blogs by children’s book authors, editors, and librarians, so it’s a one-stop way to catch up on blogginess everywhere.
Yay for all things Pippi!

No comments:

Post a Comment